Minor in Possession of Drugs or Alcohol
What is a MIP?
“MIP” means “Minor in Possession,” and it’s a charge for underage individuals who possess, consume, or try to buy alcohol.
Most Common Types of MIP Charges
- Minor in Possession of Alcohol (MIP): This is the most common MIP charge in Missouri. This refers to a situation in which an individual under the age of 21 is found in possession of alcohol, even if they were not actively consuming it or attempting to make a purchase.
- Attempted Purchase of Alcohol by a Minor: If a person under 21 attempts to purchase alcohol, whether successfully or not, they can be charged with attempting to purchase alcohol as a minor.
- Controlled Substances Possession by a Minor: In cases where minors are found in possession of illegal drugs or prescription medications without a valid prescription, they can be charged with MIP related to controlled substances.
Penalties for MIP convictions can include fines, community service, mandatory alcohol education programs, and even the suspension of driving privileges. Additionally, MIP convictions can have long-term consequences, including a criminal record, which may affect future educational and employment opportunities.
What to Expect at Your Initial Meeting with Our MIP Attorney
The initial meeting at Ozarks DWI Law Clinic to discuss a Minor in Possession (MIP) charge is an important step in understanding your legal situation. You can expect the following:
- Legal assessment: Explaining the potential legal consequences and penalties associated with an MIP conviction.
- Defense Strategy: We will discuss all details of your case, starting from the moment you received your MIP. Using this information, we will discuss potential defense strategies tailored to your case.
- Follow-Up Steps: This may include gathering evidence, attending court hearings, or following our specific legal advice.
If you have found yourself in any of the above circumstances or have questions related to a MIP charge, Ozarks DWI Law Clinic is here to help you every step of the way.